Wednesday, February 4, 2015

E-mail, 2/2/2015

My dear family,

It's been another wonderful week!

Tuesday we left at 8am to catch our bus to Sendai. We got there around 1pm and went to visit Oikaiwa shimai [Sister Oikaiwa] (the one I taught in Kamisugi). We got a little lost but then found her apartment--and she said she had just gotten home! Tender mercy! We talked and she showed me all of her books--and she still had a picture of me on her bookcase! And she remembered me! We had to go because she had an appointment, but it was so awesome to be able to see her again!! Then we ate lunch and then we bus to the bus stop and talked to the people in line. I met a really nice couple probably in their 60s who had just moved that day to Sendai from Tokyo (for work). I told them I'm a missionary and they were very friendly and nice. Way cool! Then our bus came and we went to the Honbu [mission home] for MLC [mission leadership council]! Theme: Teaching in the Savior's Way. Focus: Becoming teachers like the Savior. Then daily planning and slept at the honbu.

Wednesday was more MLC. I loved Sister King's spiritual message about prayer. She shared different experiences with prayer on her mission and she said "some of the most spiritual experiences on my mission have been hearing someone pray for me." That is so true for me. It made me remember experiences that I've had like that. President Smith talked about how Christ wants us to learn of Him and teach it to His beloved children in Japan. He has called us to bring them the gospel. Our number one responsibility is to live so we can have the Holy Ghost as our guide and companion. So personal study is the most important hour of the day! Then all the Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders each did a 14 minute training on an aspect relating to the theme. Iwahashi shimai [Sister Iwahashi] and I were first and taught about Spiritual Preparation. Went really well. Things I like and learned:
·  When we feel the Spirit we feel love. 
·  Time spent studying the Book of Mormon is in direct relationship with our ability to teach with power
·  We share our experiences with those we teach and although we experience\d those things those experiences came from God
·  We are called to testify. Prepare to testify before your lessons. We're imperfect but can be strengthened through the Atonement to bear powerful testimony
·  Waitresses don't force feed you--they ask you what you want. That is how we need to teach people. What are they spiritually hungry for? Listen.
·  Inviting people to act allows them to open the door to Jesus Christ. It is how we cry repentance.
·  Promising blessings is like a doctor telling you about a medicine to try
·  Personal conversion is giving up your everything to the Lord for the gospel
·  As we seek Jesus we will become like Him
·  We are the message. Who we are matters
·  Motive of love. We are here to save many souls
Then we came back to Hachinohe and prepared for Zone Training Meeting.

Thursday we had Eikaiwa [English class] with Yamashita-san and taught about the Pre-Earth life and prayer. She said she'd try personal prayer. Then we prepared for Zone Training Meeting.

Friday we got up at 4:30 and left at 5:30 and took the 6:11am train to Aomori for Zone Training Meeting. It went really well. Elder Fukuchi gave a great training on becoming the best missionary you can be through positive attitude, believing you can reach your possibilities and having the courage to do what you think is right. We did a 35 minute training on Becoming Teachers like the Savior through spiritual preparation, scripture study, living what you teach, listen/asking inspired questions, love, and personal conversion. Our commitment was to think of one area where you could improve and set a goal for that and do it. Then we had a discussion on helping member dendo [missionary work] fire. Then the Zone Leaders did training on scriptures, experiences, testify, commit, promise blessings (the Savior's Teaching methods). Then we had a meeting with the District Leaders and ZLs [zone leaders] and got feedback and had a discussion on if we as missionaries have the skills to teach all the lesson in 20-30 minutes while focusing on needs and then make a baptismal date. The feedback from on the DLs [district leaders] on that was that we need to focus on the 20[-minute?] lesson goal to be able to do that. 

Then we went back to Hachinohe and had dinner and then had Fun Friday and 3 investigators/potential investigators came. Sister Iwahashi and I gave the spiritual message on personal worth. I think everyone was touched. Then we rode our bikes home in the snow and planned. 

After we planned we got a text from Sae-chan (one of the people who came to Fun Friday) saying how touched she was by our spiritual message and how since she's started coming to church she has started to be able to feel Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ's love. Iwahashi shimai and I cried! She can feel her Savior's love for the first time! That is incredible!

As I was saying my personal prayers that night I realized halfway through my prayer that I was praying in Japanese and that I didn't want to stop and switch back into English--that it was better in Japanese.

Saturday I studied Jesus Christ and how to teach about Him in personal study. Then we had an activity meeting with the District and then Family English Program with Ishita-san about Jesus Christ. We showed her lots of pictures and she was very interested and asked very good questions. (Does he have a grave? Does he have siblings?) And she's been having personal prayer! Progress! Then we had Eikaiwa.

Sunday Sae-chan (PI [potential investigator]) and Shion-chan (RC [recent convert]) came to church! After church we had a lesson with Kato shimai [Sister Kato] (RC) about obedience and daily scriptures. Then we attended shu wa [sign language] class taught by Terui shimai [Sister Terui]. Then Natsuko-san (Eikaiwa student) came to church for our appointment and we did a little English and then shared a gospel lesson and she became a new investigator! She went to a Catholic high school and she really likes prayer and church but doesn't have a personal belief in God but wants to believe and to come to church! So cool! We were praying that she would become a new investigator and she did! Miracles!

I fasted for Natsuko-san to become an investigator, Miyaji-san to become an investigator, for Sae-chan to recieve permission to take the lessons, to be able to be unified and work well with Iwahashi shimai and the District so we can see miracles together, to be in tune with the Holy Ghost and the will of God, to be able to make good choices to improve and achieve my goals. To become more the better person/missionary God wants me to be.

I want to be a sister scriptorian--to treasure up the truths of the gospel so that they become a part of me that in moments of need can nurture and lift and help those I interact with.

Sister Iwahashi and I made the frightening realization yesterday that we only have 12 weeks left as missionaries. A mission is such a blessing. I don't want to ever leave.

The weather is fine! We always think it is hot whenever we go to a different area so we are very adjusted to Hachinohe's temperatures and the snow is not bad enough for us to need to walk so we are lucky to be able to still be biking! Zach sounds very busy with basketball and rugby and Shakespeare and dating. About many good things! Be a good beehive Lauren! So proud of you Mom with Lamb of God! You are amazing! I hope you are getting enough sleep too. https://mail.google.com/mail/e/330 Lauren how is violin? Candice how is cello? Candice your ultimate recipe collection sounds very delicious. I hope I can copy and eat many of the fruits of it. I need your ideas for lesson planning for teaching Kids English class. Candice that's awesome about your dendo french blessing! Good luck with your test! Nice new furniture Lauren and family!

I'm learning more everyday about Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father and their perfection and identity and love. I know they live and guide this church and will help us to achieve our desire to draw close to them in connection and attributes as we act and believe.

I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,

Your missionary,

Bellows shimai :) 



Pictures: I got to see Oikaiwa shimai and my MTC sisters this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment